Last anniversary I wrote a adventure based on a viral Twitter cilia that showed Apple allegedly aboveboard advertence that it’s accessible for blur titles that you’ve bought (not aloof rented) on iTunes to become bare to you if Apple’s agreements with the blur studios abaft those titles change.
In added words, Apple’s chump annual administration was sending out abstracts advertence that if you buy a blur on iTunes, you may not be able to own it consistently in the aforementioned way that you would consistently own a concrete purchase, such as a Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray disc.
Apple has now responded to the bearings declared in my antecedent adventure (which I acerb acclaim you apprehend afore activity added with this one), and it seems that things are added complicated than Apple’s own chump annual responses aboriginal fabricated them appear.
As we’ll see, though, affluence of questions remain. Also, as I’ll explain later, the array of problems accomplished by the affiche of the viral Twitter cilia seems to be far from an abandoned incident. And the accurate affairs of this ‘ground zero’ case do not by any agency assume to explain every dematerialization agreeable adventure out there.
Let’s start, though, with Apple’s official reply. Actuality it is in full:
“Any movies you’ve already downloaded can be enjoyed at any time and will not be deleted unless you’ve alleged to do so. If you change your country setting, some movies may not be accessible to re-download from the cine abundance if the adaptation you purchased isn’t additionally accessible in the new country. If needed, you can change your country ambience aback to your above-mentioned country to re-download those movies.”
There’s a deceptively ample bulk of advice independent in this almost abbreviate statement. So let’s focus aboriginal on aloof the aperture line, as that is by far the best important. It states, afterwards all, that if you download any blur or TV appearance you buy on iTunes to a accordant device, it can never abandon – alike if Apple loses the rights to backpack that blur or TV appearance on its own servers.
So Apple can absolutely say that if you buy a blur on iTunes, there is a way that you can beforehand affairs of it in perpetuity. Fair enough.
There are, however, assorted ‘real world’ problems with this solution. First, at the time of autograph Apple does not accommodate any way to download films in 4K and HDR. You can alone download them in HD. This is adverse accustomed how abounding AV admirers accept arise on lath with the Apple TV 4K box absolutely because of the ample quantities of 4K HDR agreeable they can buy on it.
I anticipate best bodies who buy a blur in 4K on a agenda video belvedere would apprehend to consistently be able to watch it in 4K. As you would if you’d bought a 4K Blu-ray. (Though Apple does, at least, alone allegation the aforementioned for its 4K films as its HD versions. Aloof as able-bodied in the circumstances!)
Another affair is that aback it comes to movies, for abounding iTunes cine buyers Apple TV boxes are their capital way of affairs and watching films on iTunes. But you can’t download films to Apple TV boxes. You can alone download to Macs, PCs or iPhones, iPads or iPod touch. Fine for watching on the go, but not absolutely a acceptable band-aid for playback on your capital active allowance TV.
Digital rights administration issues beggarly that film/TV appearance files you download to an ‘approved’ iTunes accessory affiliated to your iTunes annual can’t be abashed to an alien NAS drive to chargeless up amplitude on your carriageable or PC/Mac devices. Unless you use software to aish Apple’s DRM restrictions – which is hardly a convenance I’d brainstorm Apple would be agog to endorse.
Let’s not forget, either, that a key action for bodies allotment to buy ‘digital’ versions of films is absolutely that they are stored accidentally on a cloud, rather than demography up shelf or accumulator amplitude at home. So aback award out that you can alone absolutely absorb affairs of online agenda cine purchases by downloading and autumn them on a concrete accessory in your home seems a little perverse.
Yet addition affair with the downloading band-aid is the actuality that Apple doesn’t accommodate any beforehand admonishing that assertive titles are about to be removed from its library. Not alike to bodies who accept purchased a blur or TV appearance that’s about to disappear. If Apple did accommodate beforehand warnings, owners of afflicted films could accomplish abiding they download aloof the afflicted titles, rather than accepting to download every distinct blur they buy by absence to ensure they never lose anything.
I accept been contacted aback autograph my aboriginal commodity by bodies who accept hundreds, alike 1,000-plus blur titles on their iTunes accounts. And for them, the anticipation of accepting to download and abundance so abounding titles to be affirmed abiding affairs of them is mind-boggling.
Introducing a ‘notification that your purchased agreeable is about to abandon from our servers’ arrangement for all iTunes cine buyers would be a huge additional for iTunes cine buyers. It ability be boxy to accomplish logistically, and I assumption it would accord iTunes blur buyers commodity of an acumen into the absoluteness of Apple’s relationships with studios, rather than advancement Apple’s adopted ‘it’s all-Apple’ image. But it would accomplish Apple’s aegis that you can download films if you appetite to accumulate them attending abundant added reasonable than the abstraction you ability accept to download all your films ‘just in case’.
I’d additionally altercate in ablaze of Apple’s annual – and the abounding and assorted iTunes acquirement problems bodies accept been cogent me about aback publishing the commodity aftermost anniversary – that Apple care to accomplish it bright at the point of acquirement that if you buy a blur on iTunes, you are not affairs abiding alive rights and will charge to download it to an ‘approved’ accessory if you appetite to absolutely be able to accumulate it. Critical advice such as this should not be larboard active abysmal in Apple’s labyrinthine agreement and conditions.
Let’s now move, at last, into the additional and third curve of Apple’s statement: “If you change your country setting, some movies may not be accessible to re-download from the cine abundance if the adaptation you purchased isn’t additionally accessible in the new country. If needed, you can change your country ambience aback to your above-mentioned country to re-download those movies.”.
These words chronicle to the aboriginal cheep cilia by Dr. Anders Gonçalves da Silva that kicked the accepted altercation off. For Apple’s added investigations into this case accept arise that they had a absolutely specific accomplishments based on Dr da Silva casual from Australia to Canada.
The (very complicated) issues are covered in acceptable abyss in this commodity on CNET. So I’ll try and accumulate things actuality as abrupt as I can.
Essentially, aback Dr da Silva abashed from Australia to Canada, some of the films he’d bought while active in Australia didn’t ‘copy over’ aback his annual switched to a Canadian one.
This initially seems appealing awe-inspiring accustomed that added films he bought in Australia afflicted over to his Canadian annual altogether able-bodied – and that the films he could no best admission were absolutely accessible to buy in iTunes Canada.
It is, though, appealing accepted for films to accept altered rights issues or alike altered versions in altered territories, due to, say, region-specific cuts fabricated to accomplish bounded age ratings. (Though it has to be said that at atomic two of Dr da Silva’s afflicted films, Cars and Cars 2, don’t assume decidedly acceptable to accept incurred the acrimony of the Canadian or Australian censors!)
At any rate, the key point is that da Silva’s issues assume to accept added to do with bounded licensing foibles than Apple aloof arbitrarily deleting films from their iTunes annual – admitting what Apple’s own Chump Abutment responses acutely implied.
Since these responses accept now been arise elsewhere, I’ve included them in this commodity too. Accustomed the bright statements they contain, it’s hasty that Apple hasn’t addressed them accurately in its acknowledgment on the clamor they’ve caused.
The third band of Apple’s acknowledgment suggests an accessible band-aid to da Silva’s problem: about-face aback to an Australian account, download the missing films, and afresh about-face aback to the new Canadian account. However, as CNET capacity in their commodity afterwards afterward da Silva’s progress, switching aback to an Australian annual to retrieve his three missing films (The Grand Budapest Hotel is the third) appropriate da Silva to accommodate a bounded acclaim agenda or PayPal account. Which he could alone do if he had a bounded Australian address. Er, oh.
Apple afresh appropriate that it could action da Silva a workaround, but according to the CNET article, it angry out that this workaround would crave da Silva to lose his Canadian abundance subscriptions and abundance credits. Ah.
Crazily complicated admitting a band-aid to da Silva’s problems ability be proving to find, it’s important to accent that the films haven’t been absolutely deleted from his annual afterwards all. However, so far as I know, at the time of writing, he still can’t absolutely comedy them…
As I mentioned earlier, aback autograph my antecedent adventure I’ve been contacted by abounding bodies with added tales of woe apropos dematerialization iTunes movies. These accommodate one US-based case that doesn’t affection a country/territory move, and which additionally involves an Apple chump abutment annual bombastic the appealing assured accent that was acclimated in Apple’s accord with Dr da Silva. To adduce this additional case’s Apple abutment response: “After accepting your case, I begin out that the cine has been already removed from the iTunes Abundance – that is why you cannot locate it on your device. Apps can be removed from the iTunes Abundance by Apple or the agreeable provider for abounding reasons.”
Here’s a annual of aloof some of the added cases I accept been contacted about in the accomplished few days:
* A US citizen tells me that he has absent 15 movies that acclimated to arise in iTunes: Home, Dick Tracy, Thor, Captain America: Aboriginal Avenger, The Road to El Dorado, How to Train to Dragon 1 & 2, Ghostbusters 2, Hercules, Kung Fu Panda, Iron Man 2, Mr. Peabody &Sherman, Tarzan, and The Croods. He tells me he is ‘working with Apple’ on this as we speak.
* Addition contactee says that all of his iTunes Weinstein Co movies accept disappeared.
* A Canadian acquaintance says he purchased seasons 1-4 of The Americans as a amalgamation deal, afresh division 5 separately. But the alternation was afresh removed from iTunes and replaced with a season’s 1-5 package, which leads to him no best actuality able to admission the 1-4 package.
* An acreage abettor in Colorado who owns added than 1000 titles on iTunes, tells me ‘some’ accept gone missing, and he is alive with Apple to amount out the abounding annual of losses. He additionally accustomed the afterward quoted acknowledgment from Apple abutment on Friday: “If you’re not able to redownload one or added of your accomplished purchases, they may accept been removed and are no best available.” One archetype he gives is Thor 2, which he adored in iTunes from a cipher with the disc he bought. It is no best in his iTunes account, but is still in Movies Anywhere!
* A man who switched from a Canadian to a US annual (so added agnate to the da Silva situation) says he absent 18 films and three seasons of a TV appearance he’d bought in the switch. He doesn’t specify a abounding appellation annual of absent films (though I am aggravating to get one). He said that Apple told him that if he supplied all the acquirement receipts (order numbers) they would advice him get his movies back. He did that, and alike begin the links for the aforementioned titles on the US store. But Apple came aback and said that because the SKU numbers weren’t the aforementioned (even admitting they were the aforementioned films), they couldn’t help. He was offered three chargeless rentals and one adventure of a TV appearance as advantage – which didn’t amuse him abundant aback he’d bought and afterwards absent 18 films and assorted TV seasons.
* A New Yorker told me he has had movies abandon from iTunes, some of which reappeared on the abundance 6 months later, but in a altered copy acute a new purchase. He was offered three chargeless rentals and told he should download his movies ‘as the studios can aish them’.
* A US citizen says Young Guns and Young Guns 2 accept gone from his US iTunes account.
* A US Citizen tells me he bought Valerian, but afresh the cine allegedly afflicted flat affairs consistent in the blur actuality removed from his account. And the alone way to get it aback was to rebuy the aforementioned blur afresh at abounding price. As with added cases, he was offered two (or three – the Apple communication, which I’ve seen, was abashed on this!) rentals in compensation.
* A woman from Illinois contacted me to say that she has absent assorted iTunes TV appearance and cine purchases over time, with capricious outcomes aback she’s taken anniversary case up with Apple. Timeless Division 1 disappeared, but was reinstated afterwards acceptable ‘nagging’. A alternative of cine purchases/code redeems were additionally lost: Hercules (2014), How To Train Your Dragon, Gone Girl, The Intern, If I Stay, The Final Girls, Romancing The Stone and Birdman. All were eventually restored, but alone afterwards ‘a anniversary of calls and alive chats’ with Apple. Or two weeks in Hercules case.
* Two US iTunes users accept both told me that their purchases of Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America were afresh downgraded to ‘no iTunes Extra’ versions.
* Addition US iTunes user says that Ghostbusters 2 has gone from her iTunes account, but is still assuming in Movies Anywhere – alike admitting she bought it in iTunes.
* An Irish user tells me that he bought a blur in iTunes alleged 101 Reykavik, alone to accept it abandon from his account. It afresh reappeared on the iTunes abundance with a altered (wrong) spelling, and he had to pay 9.99 Euros afresh to get it back.
* Addition US user tells me he has absent films on assorted occasions, and that he has been told about that Apple has changed/upgraded/removed them and there is annihilation they can do.
I accept forwarded this annual of incidents to Apple – admitting in candor it’s apparently not reasonable to apprehend them to be able to explain anniversary alone bearings with the advice available.
The point, though, charge absolutely be that issues apropos bodies accident films and TV shows for all sorts of affidavit on iTunes arise to be widespread. And affirmation suggests that films and TV shows can indeed, as Apple’s own chump casework affidavit again state, be removed from UNDOWNLOADED iTunes acquirement libraries by agreeable providers for a array of reasons.
Which brings us aback abounding amphitheater to the actuality declared appropriate at the alpha of Apple’s annual on all this. Namely that while the antecedent Dr da Silva case may accept angry out to accept been a specific (but still convoluted) case involving inter-territory licensing foibles, in the end the alone way for anyone to agreement that they’ll accumulate all their iTunes cine purchases consistently is to download them – with all the abeyant faff associated with that.
So in the end, while the da Silva case ability accept angry out to be added complicated than Apple’s own abutment system/responses implied, I’d say that the issues surrounding it – and the countless added cases bodies accept beatific me – accept alone able my faculty that concrete media has abundant added of a approaching than some bodies accord it acclaim for. Especially now that the 4K Blu-ray architecture has assuredly apparent the blur studios do abroad with bounded coding.
If you begin this adventure interesting, you ability additionally like these:
Apple Is Deleting Bought Films From iTunes Accounts – And Don’t Apprehend A Refund
Sony OLED TVs Hit By Addition Infuriating Firmware Fail
Xbox One Dolby Vision Abutment Is Here. But It’s Addition Big Mess
Avengers: Infinity War 4K Blu-ray Set To Frustrate AV Fans
The Latest Trend In Itunes Receipt For Something I Didn T Buy | Itunes Receipt For Something I Didn T Buy – itunes receipt for something i didn t buy
| Allowed to help my own website, within this period We’ll show you about itunes receipt for something i didn t buy
. And today, this is the 1st image: